Sunday, January 13, 2013

"Oh, I see you don't have any Norwegian doom metal or Russian Chanson on your iPod..."

**Sidenote: I did not make up either of the two genres stated in the title. They are both real. **

I was supposed to have a history paper due tomorrow. But some kid complained to the teacher and now we get to hand it in on Friday. Of course, rather than being efficient and getting a head start, I'm here. Writing a blog post.

I haven't been very responsible with this blog, and I'm sorry about that. I lied when I promised myself I would have a strict posting routine, because that clearly has not been the case so far. But I'm going to do better.


Anyway, on to the intended topic of the blog post, music. One of the cool perks about living in New York is that you're exposed to everything. Sometimes, "everything" can be too much, like when you see a shirtless older woman during the Mermaid Parade, but for the most part it's a fun experience. Music definitely falls into that category. While many places are known for one specific genre of music (like how we all expect people in the South to be listening to Country), you'll find everything in New York. You're constantly exposed to different sounds and can truly tailor a "personal style" that you're happy with.

But the whole topic of music sucks as well. It may just be a teenager thing, since teenagers are already horrible people and should be forced to live in solitude until their hormones go away, but I'm not sure. Music seems to have become competition. Rather than acting as something that brings people together, music actually keeps people apart. People seem unable to accept that others have different tastes in music without judging them for it: I know people who flat out dislike someone if they listen to a particular type of music. But why? The whole situation just seems so stupid. As long as you don't shove your taste in music down my throat if I don't like what you like, I'm cool with you listening to whale noises if that's what you're in to. Music is something that's supposed to be fun, not something that you should be judged for. Obviously, if someone has similar tastes in things, you'll probably become friends more easily, but why is it that different tastes justify an intense dislike of a person before you've even gotten to know him/her? I don't know. But it shouldn't be like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment