Friday, February 8, 2013

Blizzard

So there's currently a huge snowstorm that's sweeping the Northeast of the US. Ironically, the blizzard is named "Nemo," which takes away from the sense that this storm is some ferocious monster that will trap you and your family inside for days.

My school also stayed open today, since the storm was not supposed to get bad until the late afternoon/evening. I sat in bed in disbelief for an hour, constantly refreshing the school webpage on my iPhone thinking that maybe they had forgotten to update it. But they didn't. I eventually had to drag myself out of bed and go to school. I could not find a pair of jeans for 15 minutes and failed to find a clean pair of socks (however I did manage to find about 5 million individual socks) so I had to resort to using an old pair covered in cat fur. I also had to skip breakfast to avoid being late.

I ended up walking through Central Park after taking the train because the line for the bus was (I kid you not) at least 25 yards (or 22.86 meters for you metric system people). The walk takes literally 10 minutes so I don't understand why others did not decide to do that instead of waiting for the bus which was undoubtedly packed and incredibly gross. It was so snowy that the normally clear and beautiful view in the center of the park just looked like empty space.

(I'll add a picture of what the spot is normally like to show just how bad the storm was)


My school had decided to let us out at 1:50 instead of the usual 2:50, which basically doesn't even count as an early dismissal. I guess enough people complained (plus the school probably looked at the Weather Channel) that the principal eventually decided to let us out at 12:50. This was good because it gave me an additional hour to do absolutely nothing with.

The blizzard is supposed to continue into tomorrow, but it seems to have died down a lot. I don't think I'll be getting any days off next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment