Monday, May 13, 2013

Lana Del Rey is a genius

Ok. I can't hide it anymore. I know I sound like a teenage white girl when I say this but Lana Del Rey is absolutely amazing.

Originally, I was convinced that Lana Del Rey was talentless and sang sappy songs knowing that they would sell. However, I've now come to the realization that she's a genius, or at least smart enough to hire people who are geniuses, which means she must be somewhat intelligent, right?

Let me prove my point: Lana Del Rey clearly knows her stuff. She's obviously heavily invested in 50s and 60s Americana, highlighted in several of her music videos. I have to say, her music video for "National Anthem" is probably the best music video I've ever seen. I mean that's not saying much because most artists either jump around with their shirts off or have flashy lights (or most commonly both), probably in an attempt to make everyone watching have a seizure so they can't remember how bad the video was. But seriously, this music video is great. Lana opened with her rendition of Marilyn Monroe singing "Happy Birthday" to the President and then recreated home videos of the Kennedy family in order to make the sense of corruption come full circle. I still don't know why A$AP Rocky had to play President Kennedy but it worked.

Now she has a new music video for her lead single "Young and Beautiful" off the "The Great Gatsby" soundtrack (which is pretty solid by the way). The music video is pretty simple but the song fits the mood of "The Great Gatsby" pretty well. I've yet to see the movie but I've heard terrible things about it so I have mixed feelings about seeing it with my English class on Wednesday. Hopefully I don't think it sucks as much as everyone else does.

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment