Friday, March 15, 2013

Who knew you could have nightmares of Charlize Theron?

I've recently gotten into the habit of watching incredibly dramatic/upsetting films before I go to bed. This has proven to be a bad choice.

One would think I would've learned my lesson after watching Changeling on Netflix with my mom in 6th grade. It was an amazing movie, but you don't exactly want to think about a string of child kidnappings/murders right before you go to bed, especially if you live in an old house that creaks at night. For months I would have to tuck my whole face under the covers in order to feel safe from having my head hacked off by the serial killer that I was certain was hiding in my closet.

As I normally consider myself a comedy type of guy, serious movies are already stepping over my usual boundaries. I know I am not good at putting traumatizing or saddening things out of my head (demonstrated by what was said in the previous paragraph), so my choices are normally limited to movies with incredibly poor acting, anything with Tina Fey, or Last Holiday with Queen Latifa (the only film Fox will ever play on a Sunday night). But I guess I've been getting in touch with my inner actor as of recently (I did, in fact, star as Charlie Brown in the school play in 3rd grade), so I've felt inclined to see performances that garnered media attention. Today I watched Precious and Monster, which both included Academy Award-winning performances (also who knew Charlize Theron could be that hideous?), but are by no means "feel good" movies. My plan for tonight is to stay up so late that I just pass out, so I don't need to worry about hookers shooting me to get my cash or an abusive mother throwing pans at me. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment